News blog for Seattle's Maple Leaf neighborhood

Maple Leaf Life header image 2

Snow now falling, more on the way – new forecast

Posted by Mike on January 14th, 2012

Update 3 p.m.: Three-quarters of an inch on the official Maple Leaf Life snow-measuring car. Sun is now shining here. Snowing heavily just to the north in the convergence zone. Cliff Mass has posted a Nowcast with forecast for Sunday, Monday and even Wednesday.

Short-term forecast from the National Weather Service:
.NOW...
A PUGET SOUND CONVERGENCE ZONE HAS DEVELOPED OVER SOUTHERN
SNOHOMISH AND NORTHERN KING COUNTIES...AND WILL LIKELY PERSIST
FOR THE NEXT FEW HOURS. SHOWERS MIXED WITH SNOW...OR PERIODS
OF WET SNOW WITH ACCUMULATIONS LESS THAN AN INCH ARE EXPECTED.

Tags: Uncategorized

7 reader comments so far ↓

• 1 Donna // Jan 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm

As a reminder, property owners are responsible for clearing sidewalks adjacent to their properties after a snowstorm. SDOT encourages residents and businesses to have snow shovels and materials on-hand to keep walkways clear and safe for pedestrians.

• 2 Melody // Jan 14, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Love the snow!!!!

• 3 Cheddar // Jan 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Folks – I just walked our neighborhood and there are quite a few snowy sidewalks out there… Please see Donna’s reminder above and action accordingly. *eye roll*

• 4 Ella // Jan 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I thought today’s snow was more like shaved ice!

• 5 Sue // Jan 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm

This is the only time I am grateful to NOT have a sidewalk to be responsible for. Is crazy to be this close in with no sidewalks and drive up rural mailboxes (NE 115th)

• 6 Anonymouse // Jan 16, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I can’t believe they want residents to shovel sidewalks for safety. As a pedestrian, snow or bumpy walked on snow is easier to navigate and get traction. Black ice/a bare frozen walkways are actually more slippery in my opinion and have caused me to fall and injure myself in the past.

• 7 Sidewalk Maven // Jan 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I’m with Sue. Can you believe a city like Seattle won’t put in sidewalks north of 85th? Not even on arterials like 15th? Not even to elementary schools? Today’s the only day I feel safe letting my son walk down NE 98th Street. Shovel, schmovel. For areas of the city without sidewalks, does SDOT want me to shovel a walkway in the street itself or perhaps in the exposed drainage ditch on the shoulder? Grumble, grumble. The snow sure is pretty, though.