In addition to Seafair traffic this weekend, brace yourself for the start of more construction on Northgate Way as the NE Northgate Way and Fifth Avenue NE Intersection and Pedestrian Improvements Project continues.
The gist of it is to simply stay off of Northgate Way, at least for the next two weeks while the Seattle Department of Transportation builds a new landscaped median on Northgate Way, and possibly until Thanksgiving when the entire project is scheduled for completion.
Here are the details from the project page:
For two weeks, beginning August 4, crews will be building a new median on NE Northgate Way west of the Fifth Avenue NE intersection. For this and other upcoming work, westbound NE Northgate Way will be reduced to one lane intermittently. In the next two weeks crews will also build new sidewalks, curbs and a crosswalk in the southwest corner of the intersection, requiring sidewalk closures and one lane of roadway travel on:
• Eastbound NE Northgate Way – Third to Fifth avenues NE
• Southbound Fifth Avenue NE – NE Northgate Way to just south of Key Bank
Eastbound NE Northgate Way will remain reduced to one lane of travel for the duration of the project to enable completion of all area improvements.
Also on Saturday, August 4, utility crews will relocate wires, reducing travel to one lane on northbound Fifth Avenue NE just south of NE Northgate Way for the day, beginning at 7 a.m.
Crews expect to move to the southeast corner of the intersection (Phase Two) in approximately two weeks.
What to expect during construction:
* Lane closures – Local access maintained. Any intermittent stops of traffic will cease at 3 p.m. on weekdays.
* Sidewalk closures and pedestrian detours.
* Temporary driveway restrictions – Advanced notice will be provided.
* Moderate construction noise and dust
* Tree trimming and removal as well as orange wrapping around protected trees. Trees that must be removed for this project will be replaced in the area at a 2-to-1 ratio.
* Potential night work.
* During Phase Two expect lane and sidewalk closures, temporary driveway restrictions (advanced noticed provided) and a temporary bus stop relocation on Fifth Ave NE.
Project Work Hours and Schedule:
* Normal work hours will be 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday with possible weekend work 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.