News blog for Seattle's Maple Leaf neighborhood

Maple Leaf Life header image 2

Fatal hit and run overnight in Maple Leaf on 15th Ave.

Posted by Mike on August 5th, 2012

Police today report a man sitting in the street on 15th Avenue Northeast was struck and killed by a car about 2 a.m.

The accident occurred in the 10400 block, or just at the bridge over Thornton Creek 15th Avenue, in the southbound lane, police said.

FromĀ  a police press release:

According to the witness, the man was sitting in the road with his legs crossed, elbows resting on his knees and his head cradled in his hands. As the witness approached the victim in an attempt to remove him from the road, a 1997 Infiniti Q45 travelling south on 15th Avenue N.E. struck the man, killing the 32-year-old man. The driver of the car drove off without stopping.

Officers found the car a few blocks away, in the 2700 block of Northeast 98th Street. Police said the 23-year-old driver appeared to be impaired by alcohol.

Neither the driver nor his female passenger were injured, police said. The driver was jailed for investigation of vehicular homicide and investigation of hit and run, the press release said.

Tags: Uncategorized

7 reader comments so far ↓

• 1 Zane // Aug 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Great coverage of this story on our local news outlets.

Or not.

• 2 Melody // Aug 5, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I wonder who the man was and why he was in the street. Maybe the witness knew him.

• 3 Brad // Aug 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of bad things happen on the roads at 2:00 am.

Certainly, there is no excuse for DUI, nor for a hit & run incident, but I’m speculating that the driver never for a moment considered there would be somebody *sitting in the middle of an arterial street*, particularly at 2:00 am. He probably had no idea that he had hit a person at the time it happened, and not just because he was impaired. Again, not an excuse, but a plausible explanation for the hit & run aspect to this.

A tragedy on multiple levels, unfortunately.

• 4 Ryan // Aug 5, 2012 at 10:39 pm

It was my friend brad. just found out today. he was a trobled soul and i think he comitted suicied

• 5 Sue // Aug 7, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Thanks for the follow up Ryan. I am very sorry for your loss.

• 6 Veronica // Aug 8, 2012 at 12:22 am

Sorry for your loss Ryan. It happend in front of my house. I just can’t stop thinking about it. I have been trying to find out more about who Bradford Dawes was and why .

• 7 Gayle // Aug 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Veronica~I completely understand, we heard the impact and went out to see if everything was ok, and it certainly was not. I am still trying to get the gruesome image out of my mind. I also live a second from where it happened. I am sorry!!!