News blog for Seattle's Maple Leaf neighborhood

Maple Leaf Life header image 2

City did not install Do Not Enter sign on 105th!

Posted by Mai Ling on January 25th, 2013

Somebody in the neighborhood has some access to extremely official-looking traffic signs.

Turns out the “Do Not Enter” sign that recently showed up on the corner of Northeast 105th Street and Eighth Avenue Northeast wasn’t actually installed by the Seattle Department of Transportation. Rick Sheridan, SDOT communications director, tell us:

“According to our records, this is not a City of Seattle installed traffic sign. SDOT will remove it shortly and replace it with a legitimate  ‘One Lane Road’ sign. That sign will appropriately indicate that, though it is a one-lane road, two-way traffic can use the street.”

Huh. So who installed the sign?

Tags: Uncategorized

21 reader comments so far ↓

• 1 dw // Jan 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Probably one of the neighbors tired of all the idiots who try to come into the one lane section oblivious to people coming down that hill. I’ve almost been hit 4 times since I moved to the street two years ago.

Can we keep it?

• 2 Ron // Jan 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm

That sign should be kept. The city really needs to find better ways to address smaller lanes and alleys that result in traffic problems, regardless of the volume of traffic.

• 3 Matt // Jan 25, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Hey, I have an idea. Maybe get SDOT to agree with you instead of just letting people throw street signs wherever.

I knew this city was passive-aggressive, but seriously, let’s let the professionals handle traffic control. They have degrees for that stuff and everything.

• 4 neighbor // Jan 25, 2013 at 4:07 pm

That makes more sense. I thought SDOT has a new policy of limiting the number of one-way streets. Other streets near the mall have requested one-way signs and were told of this policy.

• 5 Cheryl // Jan 25, 2013 at 4:22 pm

If people have concerns, they should address them through the normal process. I think this really stinks. I live & work near this street and use it routinely and haven’t had problems with “idiots” –just polite people managing it the best they can, usually in a very civilized manner. If we get too carried away with traffic management, we’ll be prisoners of our own neighborhood.

• 6 MapleLeafBob // Jan 25, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Ha Ha Ha!! Gotta love the effort though. Someone just decides to install their own road sign, that is the first time I have heard of that.

I think I am going to put up a fake restricted parking sign in front of my house. It will say its restricted to Zone X, and I will be the only person with a Zone X permit!

• 7 dhsea // Jan 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Wow, I’m gonna put up a tyrannosaurus rex crossing sign on my street …
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IDdtH-31EEM/T750O-cFF4I/AAAAAAAAAFs/R01AIAyYvyc/s1600/t-rex-crossing.jpg … Maybe that will slow people down!

• 8 dhsea // Jan 25, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Maybe some DIY speed bumps too! LOL

• 9 anotherEric // Jan 25, 2013 at 7:28 pm

That’s good, because I kept driving through it anyway.

• 10 Understanding Resident // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I can certainly understand people’s frustration with the city and SDOT. Most of the folks I’ve dealt with in Seattle city Gov and SDOT, seem to be more interested in job security, and making things overly complicated, than they are in doing their jobs and helping us all have a better quality of life in our city.

• 11 Frank // Jan 25, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Whoever installed it deserves an award. The city should make it permanent.

• 12 dw // Jan 26, 2013 at 1:40 am

Whomever installed it did a quite professional job. It’s got a bracket in the ground. The pole is orange, tho, which is odd.

• 13 Sue/Seattle // Jan 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Thanks to whomever checked on this. I had asked the question at SDOT Q and A page as well. Just didn’t sound like Seattle to not process something to death before acting. Plus the sign looked a little sketchy.

• 14 Sue/Seattle // Jan 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Sue says:

January 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm

There is a new “do not enter” sign at NE 105th and 8th NE. Is this permanent and what was the process?

pegNielsen says:

January 24, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for alerting us. No it is not permanent! We did not install the “Do Not Enter” sign so we will remove it and re-install a “One Lane Road” sign at this location

• 15 Joel R. // Jan 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Agreed with Matt there. Follow the law, like the rest of us do, ya know?

• 16 City owned property // Jan 28, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Hi there Bob. Seems like you aren’t the only one that thinks they own the public right of way near your house. Good luck with the bogus claims to your personal on street parking.

• 17 Dan // Jan 28, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Maybe it was the same guy that kept cutting all the tree branches vigilante style in Thorton Creek Park. This seemed like a hazard, people were still going both ways but now with the expectation from some drivers that they wouldn’t have traffic coming at them. One way streets in general are confusing, I see people turn the wrong way down them downtown all the time.

• 18 Air // Jan 29, 2013 at 1:41 am

This is both hilarious and sad. The road is totally fine, and I would argue necessary to relieve congestion anyway. Hope the random crybaby who posted this illegal thing gets caught. Silly Seattle.

• 19 dw // Jan 29, 2013 at 10:56 am

Now it got all weird. Some tore out the do not enter sign (set in concrete, mind you) and now all the do not enter signs on 103rd are covered over with garbage bags.

What a little war we’re having.

• 20 Rick Barrett // Jan 29, 2013 at 4:02 pm

So someone finally found a way to get SDOT’s attention, I was sure it could be done although years of attempting it came to naught. Too bad it would cost so much that most of us can’t afford it. There are many good people in SDOT but they’re not the decision makers who all seem to be incompetent jerks and inveterate liars.
    There’s got to be a better way to get something done, what might it be?

• 21 Air // Jan 30, 2013 at 12:46 am