News blog for Seattle's Maple Leaf neighborhood

Maple Leaf Life header image 2

Happy New Year – Welcome to 2014!

Posted by Mike on January 1st, 2014

Plus, we’ve added a new bird to the Birds of Maple Leaf Reservoir Park – a Western Gull.

Tags: Uncategorized

8 reader comments so far ↓

• 1 neighbor // Jan 1, 2014 at 2:51 pm

People might want to be aware that the reservoir is under video surveillance by nature of it being a drinking water reservoir…smile!

• 2 DanM // Jan 2, 2014 at 1:45 pm

There was some debris in the park when we went for a walk New Year’s Eve after midnight, but it was all gone when we went again last night.

Did Parks Dept. people work New Year’s Day, or did magical Maple Leaf Elves swoop through and rid us of that blight?

Either way, thanks to whoever did it, as the park looked nice last night.

PS I want to believe in elves.

• 3 Donna // Jan 2, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I don’t know if the Parks Dept went thru (they may have, the maintenance crew is pretty hard-working), but I did see some elves picking up a few bits of debris when I walked thru Wednesday afternoon. So at least one score for Team Elves!

Editor: The elves were there Thursday shortly before noon, as well.

• 4 Dan // Jan 6, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I highly doubt anyone is going to pour through video footage to try to identify people lighting off a new years firework. Thanks to the neighbors that cleaned them up! I always clean up my own fireworks.

• 5 Rob // Jan 8, 2014 at 12:39 am

Yes, but those laws don`t apply to me. I`m just trying to have a good time. Nevermind that I might light your house on fire, or that you have to get up early tomorrow to go to work, and need some sleep. It`s really more important that I have a good time.

• 6 An Observer // Jan 9, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Kind of weird, this year we didn’t hear much in the way of noise on New Year’s Eve. When it hits on a Friday or Saturday, Katie bar the door.

I don’t mind fireworks on July 4th or New Year’s as long as the perps clean up their mess.

I am looking forward to July 4th from the new park, should be a great view of the proceedings.

• 7 Dan // Jan 13, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Rob, who works in New Years Day? It’s a bummer these people didn’t clean up after themselves, but seriously you need to chill. If you can’t tolerate some a little celebration by your neighbors on New Years Eve then you probably shouldn’t be living in a city neighborhood. Tolerance is part of living in our community and in society in general. I personally am always happy when I see my neighbors are throwing a party and having fun!

• 8 Tim // Jan 13, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I worked on both NYE and NYD.