News blog for Seattle's Maple Leaf neighborhood

Maple Leaf Life header image 2

The mystery bagpipers of Maple Leaf Park

Posted by Mike on July 9th, 2014

Who are those guys?

And gals.
Two gals. Five guys. On Tuesday eve.
(You might have to let the video load. It’s big.)

Tags: Uncategorized

19 reader comments so far ↓

• 1 Donna // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

Every Tuesday?

• 2 Pete // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:08 am

They were there a week ago too. Sounds neat for a while, but LOUD.

• 3 Sarah // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:12 am

I saw them last night too while running the dog. It is nice, but as Pete said, loud :( I like to jog with my headphones in and some motivating fast tunes and it overpowered my own music. I left and ran a different route instead.

• 4 Anon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 am

Loud, but quite enjoyable. Our kids loved watching/listening to them! I hope they continue to come and practice at the park.

• 5 lori // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:43 am

Another reason to live in Maple Leaf! :O)

• 6 Jan // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:34 am

One of those bagpipers lives here in ML!!
    MLL: Tell us more!

• 7 Karen // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:44 am

I luv the bagpipes!!!!

• 8 TJ // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:49 am

Very nice mostly. A bit much on a hot evening.

• 9 Brooke // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:56 am

i think it is nice. random, but nice. who cares if it is loud?? just appreciate it or walk away if you don’t like it.

• 10 G.Kelly // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:26 pm

We love them! Hope they make it a regular Tuesday thing.

• 11 Maiya Alward // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Can these people reduce their playing time or move around the park? I found it hard to relax in my back yard while this went on for several hours. It was lovely for a brief time but went on and on and on. My dog and husband finally gave up and went inside:(

• 12 Chris // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm

You NIMBY cranks, the park is for all to enjoy, including musicians! Would you rather have illicit but quiet activities? Move to Arlington if you’re looking for peace and quiet.

• 13 Dan // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I love it! To the complainers, in the apartment building behind me I have someone practicing violin badly daily and this week a kid trying to learn Mary Had a Little Lamb on clarinet, messing it up playing it over and over for hours. Cute, but annoying. I only wish it was a crew of bagpipers that knew what they were doing, I grew up on that type of music.

• 14 Maiya Alward // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Wow, name calling nice touch, Chris. We all live here, we all like it here, we might not all agree on the choice of music being played loudly near our homes. I am one of many residents here that have valid opinions and should not be diminished by the likes of you!

• 15 Chris // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Righto, you’re entitled to your opinion, and I still think you’re a crank.

• 16 Chris // Jul 9, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Whatever you do, don’t approach them! Could be dangerous!

• 17 Gwen // Jul 9, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for the Butch link Mike. I think I’ll have to watch that this evening.
    MLL: grin

• 18 Chap // Jul 10, 2014 at 10:12 am

I like the pipers, brings back memories of an annual “Highland Gathering” in my hometown where dozens of Bagpipe bands would parade through the main street. Afterwards they and thousands of people would head to the park – much like ML Reservoir Park – for highland games, sword dancing, etc. Very full on weekend but amazing for the local economy and something locals and visitors looked forward to each year. I guess I’ll have to travel down to Enum Claw at the end of this month to get a fix.

• 19 janet // Jul 10, 2014 at 4:18 pm

They are pipers from the Elliott Bay Pipe Band, they are practicing for the Skagit Highland Games in Mt. Vernon this weekend…They also practice some summer evenings at GasWorks. They will be there tonight again for a couple of hours.